Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Monday, November 3rd, 2014

It was a lot of fun traveling around a little bit. Bodø and Trondheim are both very cool cities. It was nice seeing people again. President Evans leads our zone conferences, and the assistants help in the teaching as well. The topic was member missionary work, which is among my favorites. One thing we talked about and something the church leaders in Norway have really been pushing is getting members to study Preach My Gospel. I am so grateful for all that I have learned from Preach My Gospel. I remember when I went to Summerfest (music camp at BYU) and my counselor said that Preach My Gospel had changed his life. I know what he meant. It truly was written on the other side of the veil and is a guide for all of us. It has strengthened my understanding of the basic doctrines of the gospel, what they mean, how to learn them, how to live them, how to teach them, and how to work and serve together. It is so important for us to come together and to really be together in this work. We are all missionaries. I know that the Lord is working with us. It is getting a lot darker here, and I think the cold will be coming soon. It is good we have the light of the world and a warm message.

Norwegians do not really celebrate Halloween though people say it is getting bigger every year. Trondheim is a pretty big city, but there was no one dressed up that I could see, and unfortunately I could not really dress up. I tried to have a festive tie though. There is a missionary from Norway who I met at the conference who also speaks really good Spanish. It was a lot of fun to speak a little with him.

One thing I have been reflecting on a lot especially with my conversations with people is how necessary the Holy Ghost is. Logic can take us pretty far, but one cannot understand the gospel by logic alone. Only the Spirit can teach us truth. Sadly, as the Book of Mormon says there are many, even those who say they believe in Christ who do deny the Holy Ghost who giveth utterance. I know that God speaks to us today and will answer our sincere prayers. I also know that this work is true. I can tell you about one more members this week. Her name is Sister Gundersen. She converted to the church when she used to live in Bergen. She used to live in Alta as a member as well. She teaches institute here every week and is super solid. She is a very kind and loving person.

I am very grateful for all the support we receive. There are so many forces seen and unseen helping this work to go forward. I have to do my best, and then I know that the Lord will consecrate my efforts. I know that is true for all of us. I hope you have a wonderful week and feel of God's love. The Norwegian word of the week is Å Sammearbeide, which means to work together.


Love,
Elder Ankenman

No comments:

Post a Comment